MirandaNet presence in the UK and throughout the World
International | Africa | Bangladesh | Chile | China | CzechMiranda | Japan | Macedonia | Mexico | MiraNet | MirandaNorth | Poland | Regional | Romania | Star | Taiwan | Thailand | UK-Japan Science | UK-China Links | USA
UK-Japan Young Scientist Workshop
30th July - August 5th
The UK-Japan Young Scientist Workshop is a unique team-based event for post-16 students from schools in Britain and Japan. Devised by Dr Eric Albone, Director of the Clifton Scientific Trust, it was supported and hosted, this year, by the University of Surrey, and the Surrey Centre for Excellence in Professional Training and Education (SCEPTrE). Clifton Scientific Trust is a charity registered in England and Wales (1086933).
During the week-long Workshop, students and their teachers (click on the images for larger versions), university researchers, and cultural language facilitators worked together, through the process of inquiry, to understand a challenging and complex scientific problem. At the end of the week, students gave presentations of their original research findings.
Dr Richard Pike, Secretary General and Chief Executive, The Royal Society of Chemistry, and Ms Heidi Potter, Chief Executive, Japan 21 provided a summing up following the Student Team Presentations.
- Climate change, Health and Ethics
- Water for Life
- Global Monitoring by Satellite
- Exploring the Nanoworld
- Circadian Rhythms, Sleep and Jet Lag
- Cultural activities (the Workshop wasn't just fun - there was a serious side to it as well!)
- Students' Report (well, perhaps it was after all)
- Report from Japan (264KB Word Document in Japanese and English - opens in a new window)
- Dr Eric Albone (Clifton Scientific Trust)
- Dr Toru Okano (The Rikkyo School)
- Mr Lawrence Williams (Senior Academic Fellow, MirandaNet, and Lead Practitioner, Specialist Schools and Academies Trust)
- Professor Norman Jackson (Director, SCEPTrE Centre)
- Ms Heidi Potter (Japan 21)
- Ms Anna Kingston
There is more background information on the Workshop Flyer
We are grateful to all who have made contributions to these pages. To submit further contributions, images, or evaluations, please contact Lawrence Williams ( ) .
Clifton Scientific Trust gratefully acknowledges financial support for the Workshop from the DTI Office of Science and Innovation, the Great Britain Sasakawa Foundation, the Daiwa Anglo-Japanese Foundation, and Japan 21, donations from Hinchley Wood School, Esher and Dartford Grammar School and support in kind from the University of Surrey. The Workshop is formally endorsed by the Embassy of Japan.